The Vanderbilt Infectious Disease team provides treatment for serious illnesses caused by germs, complications from surgery or other sources. We also run two separate specialized clinics that work to prevent infectious illnesses: The Vanderbilt Travel Clinic provides vaccines for those planning for international travel, and our PrEP Clinic offers preventive medication to people at high risk of contracting HIV.
Conditions We Treat
- Atypical mycobacterial infections
- Central nervous system infections
- Illness in returning travelers
- Orthopedic (device) infections
- Transplant/malignant hematology infections
Meet Your Care Team
Cody A. ChastainMD
- HIV Prevention, Including Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease, Infectious Diseases, Viral Hepatitis
Yuri F. Van Der HeijdenMD, MPH
- General Infectious Diseases, HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease, Infectious Diseases
C W. WesterMD, MPH
- General Infectious Diseases, HIV Prevention, Including Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease, Infectious Diseases
Why Choose Infectious Disease Care at Vanderbilt
- Skilled clinicians
Our team includes doctors, advanced practice nurses and other providers with special training in preventing and treating serious illnesses that are caused by bacteria and viruses.
- Online health portal
We want to make your experience as seamless and stress-free as possible. You can contact your care team directly by phone or use our secure online portal, My Health at Vanderbilt, to send messages, schedule appointments, manage medications and access your medical records.
- Yellow fever vaccine
The Vanderbilt Travel Clinic is the only one in Middle Tennessee providing this important vaccine. Travelers may not enter certain countries without proof of yellow fever immunization.
- PrEP clinic
Our full-time PrEP clinic, which serves people at risk of contracting HIV, goes beyond dispensing a prescription. We take a holistic view of your sexual health.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- IV antibiotics
- PrEP (HIV prevention)
- Pre-travel vaccinations