Vanderbilt Burn Center is the only dedicated burn center serving adults and children in Tennessee. Our team is solely dedicated to meeting the complex physical, medical and emotional needs of burn treatment and recovery. We use the most advanced technology and treatment methods to help our patients lead a full, productive life.
To reach a patient in the inpatient burn unit, call (615) 322-4590.
Conditions We Treat
We treat all burn injuries, including:
- Superficial (first-degree) burns
- Partial thickness (second-degree) burns
- Full thickness (third-degree) burns
- Degloving injury
- Friction burn
- Road rash
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS)
Meet Your Care Team
Patrick S. DuffyMD
- Acute and Reconstructive Burn, Burn, Complex Skin and Soft Tissue Injury, Laser Resurfacing, Trauma and Burn Surgery, Trauma and Surgical Critical Care
- Acute and Reconstructive Burn Surgery, Advanced Wound Care, Hand Surgery, Peripheral Nerve, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery
Elizabeth D. SlaterMD
- Acute and Reconstructive Burn, Breast Reconstructive Surgery, Burn, Hypertrophic Scar Treatment, Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
John B. SummittMD
- Acute and Reconstructive Burn, Aesthetics, Burn, Cosmetic Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Avinash B. KumarMD
- Anesthesiology, Burn, Burns, Emergency Treatment, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Disorders, Surgery, Neurosciences, Spine, Comprehensive
Why Choose Burn Center at Vanderbilt
- Knowledge and expertise
As a regional burn center, we serve as a referral hub and resource center for referring facilities and the community. We provide outreach programs, continuing education opportunities and ongoing research to maintain the most-advanced level of care for burn patients.
- Comprehensive care
We have been providing quality, compassionate care to burn patients since 1983. In addition to our 25-bed burn center, we also provide evaluation for minor burn injuries and follow-up care in our outpatient Burn Clinic.
- Team approach
Our doctors, nurses, therapists and staff collaborate to offer the best treatment possible using advanced technology and procedures. Our team also works with psychiatrists and a chaplain to treat the emotional trauma of patients and their families as part of their care.
Related Programs and Clinics
After Care and Support Programs
Vanderbilt Burn Center offers several programs to support and connect burn survivors:
Phoenix SOAR (Survivors Offering Assistance in Recovery) program helps survivors and their loved ones find comfort through relationships with people who have been where they are and understand their journey. Connecting survivors with others who have experienced similar trauma – whether through their own burn injury, or as the loved one of a burn survivor. If you are interested in becoming a SOAR Volunteer or connecting with a volunteer for support, please reach out to our coordinators at email@example.com.
Burn Peer Support Group Meeting: Vanderbilt Burn Center offers a monthly Support Group for survivors and their loved ones to connect and find support. On the second Tuesday of every month at 6:30 PM CST this group meets on a virtual platform. If you or a loved one are interested in attending, please reach out to our coordinators for a meeting invite at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Hope is a nonprofit organization that offers a free week of physical and emotional healing for children between the ages of 6 and 16 who have suffered burn injuries. Learn more about the camp: