We know that cancer continues to affect you long after your treatment has ended. Recovering, readjusting and getting used to the “new normal” of life after treatment is not something you have to do alone. We have many services to help you during this time, including a unique survivorship program.
Survivorship Services at Vanderbilt
You may be wondering what happens to your care when your treatment is finished. We will be with you every step of the way during this next phase:
- Care after treatment: When you come to Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, you receive more than a diagnosis and treatment. You receive lifelong care from a team of skilled and compassionate experts. We have years of experience caring for patients after their treatments have ended. You’ll receive the services and support you need to live a full life with and beyond a cancer diagnosis.
- Careful record keeping: The cancer and its treatment can affect your future healthcare needs. We keep meticulous records of all your tests, procedures and treatments so all of your information is in one place. You take your records with you when you see other providers for any type of healthcare.
- Support team: A nurse practitioner and social worker will work closely with you to help you manage your life after treatment. Your nurse practitioner will discuss follow-up visits, screenings and wellness checks you may need. The social worker can help you adjust to life after treatment, including managing challenges related to work and family.
Post-treatment and Survivorship Services
- REACH for Cancer Survivorship
- Lymphedema Therapy Clinic
- Stem Cell Transplant Wellness Program (RESTORE)
- Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
REACH for Cancer Survivorship
Our expert, sensitive professionals help patients of all ages plan a roadmap for life after cancer treatment, helping with physical, emotional and practical needs.
You do not have to be a patient at Vanderbilt-Ingram to join our REACH program. Our doors are open to anyone who has undergone cancer treatment for any type of cancer, at any cancer center, at any age of diagnosis (including adults who experienced cancer during childhood).
Services we provide include:
- Working with you to develop your personal Survivor Care Plan, including follow-up appointments and wellness checks
- Providing the referrals you need to any type of specialty, including physical and occupational therapy, rehabilitation, psychology and other services
- Discussing long-term impact of the cancer and cancer treatment, including fertility considerations, and working with you to prevent and manage negative effects
- Helping you navigate the world of survivorship resources and support groups to find you the support you need
- Providing assistance with insurance coverage
- Helping you manage your return to work or school
Learn more about REACH for Cancer Survivorship.
Lymphedema Therapy Clinic
The lymphatic system is a critical part of the body’s ability to heal itself. Because we often remove lymph nodes during cancer treatment, it can lead to a condition called lymphedema, where your lymphatic system does not function properly. Lymphedema is especially common in patients with breast cancer and melanoma (a type of skin cancer).
Our Lymphedema Therapy Clinic offers comprehensive services to patients with lymphedema, including physical therapists who are specially trained in lymphedema management. Our therapists use a specialized approach that includes massage, exercise and compression garments to drain fluid and reduce swelling.
Stem Cell Transplant Wellness Program (RESTORE)
If you received an allogeneic stem cell transplant (the transfer of stem cells from a healthy donor), you will need to stay near our center for 100 days following the procedure.
During this time, our wellness program, RESTORE, is designed to help you improve cardiovascular fitness, strength and functional ability through exercise, education and gentle movement. The program is one of the few centers in the community offering this service:
- Our program gives you the ability to stay near the hospital while you work with skilled physical therapists and other rehabilitation specialists to regain your strength and functioning.
- We monitor you closely so we can prevent and manage any negative side effects.
- If you are traveling from long distances for a stem cell transplant, this program gives you the freedom and flexibility to get the care you need.
To learn more about our wellness program, contact Karen Dyer at (615) 322-4751 or by email at email@example.com. Referrals are made through our stem cell transplant program.
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
The Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is one of only a few Osher centers in the world, providing holistic care for your body, mind and spirit. The center offers research-based therapies such as yoga, acupuncture and massage to help improve your quality of life and feel more involved in your care.
Learn more about the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine.