Vanderbilt’s general surgeons are among the best in the region, if not the nation. We offer many types of surgery, including minimally invasive procedures. Our team includes the only surgeon in Middle Tennessee performing peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia. We also offer magnetic sphincter augmentation for reflux.
Conditions We Treat
- Adrenal mass
- Biliary colic (gallbladder attack)
- Duodenal polyps
Meet Your Care Team
Joel F. BradleyIII, MD
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, Diaphragmatic Hernias, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision), Sports Hernia/Athletic Pubalgia
- Benign Disease of the Esophagus, Benign Diseases of the Stomach / Duodenum, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision), Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery
Meredith C. DukeMD, MBA, FACS
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, Diaphragmatic Hernias, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Surgical Weight Loss Surgery
Michael D. HolzmanMD, MPH
- Benign Disease of the Esophagus, Biliary Disease / Gallbladder, GI Surgery, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision)
Richard A. PierceMD, PhD, FACS
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, General Surgery, Hernias (Inguinal, Ventral, Incision), Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery, Sports Hernia/Athletic Pubalgia, Surgical Endoscopy
General Surgery: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- Expert surgeons
Our highly trained surgeons have extensive experience performing a wide range of complex surgeries using minimally invasive techniques: endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic surgeries.
- Advanced treatments
We offer magnetic sphincter augmentation for treating GERD (reflux, or heartburn). Our team also includes the only surgeon in Middle Tennessee who performs peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) to treat achalasia.
- A team approach
Our Fast Track Clinic is a special coordination among many members of our care team. It serves people who need gallbladder or other routine surgeries but who are otherwise healthy. This clinic allows us to evaluate you and schedule your procedure quickly, often within one week.
- Personalized care
We help you understand your treatment options and create a plan tailored to your health and needs.
- Access to clinical trials
As the only academic medical center in Middle Tennessee, we offer access to clinical trials for new surgical methods before they’re available at most other hospitals.
- Online health portal
We want to make your experience as seamless and stress-free as possible. You can contact your care team directly by phone or use our secure online portal, My Health at Vanderbilt, to send messages, schedule appointments, manage medications and access your medical records.
Tests, Treatments and Services We Offer
- Endoscopic exams
- Endoscopic surgery
- Fluoroscopic imaging
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery
- Laparoscopic robotic abdominal wall reconstruction