Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a national leader in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Our ECMO experts provide life-saving care with a heart-lung machine for people whose serious illnesses prevent their hearts and lungs from working properly. ECMO may be used for patients waiting for heart or lung transplants, recovering from illness or preparing for a high-risk surgery. Our ECMO experts work with a team of Vanderbilt specialists to treat your underlying condition.
Conditions We Treat
We treat severe heart and lung conditions, including:
- Acute lung failure
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Cardiogenic shock
- Post-surgery cardiac failure
- Pulmonary embolism
Meet Your Care Team
Matthew BacchettaMD, MBA, MA
- Cardiac Surgery, Lung Transplant, Lung Transplantation, Lung/Thoracic Cancer, Pulmonary Endarterectomy for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension, Surgery for Diseases of the Lung, Surgery for Diseases of the Rib Cage and Diaphragm
- Aortic Aneurysms, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Transplantation, Ischemic Heart Disease, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Pulmonary Endarterectomy for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension
Ashish S. ShahMD
- Aortic Center, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Tumors, Cardiac Valve Disease, Heart Assist Devices, Heart Valve Center, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy & Inherited Disease
Hasan K. SiddiqiMD, MSCI
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Congestive Heart Failure, Heart Transplantation, Mechanical Circulatory Support
John M. TrahanasMD
- Aortic Aneurysms, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Transplantation, Cardiac Valve Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement/TAVR, Transplant
Why Choose Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) at Vanderbilt
- Recognized care
The Vanderbilt Adult ECMO program has achieved the ELSO Award of Excellence in Life Support - Gold Level. The award recognizes programs worldwide that have processes, procedures and systems in place promoting excellence and exceptional care in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Unique expertise
We have provided life-saving ECMO care to children and adults for more than 30 years. Today our program is the largest in Tennessee.
- Skilled clinicians
Vanderbilt doctors have conducted some of the most important ECMO research and published some of the most important studies about the specialty. Other hospitals look to Vanderbilt to train their ECMO specialists. With knowledge in all configurations of ECMO, our Vanderbilt team can provide the best care for you.
- Team approach
Our ECMO teams work with pulmonologists, cardiologists and other specialists to treat your unique condition. Comprehensive ECMO care is available throughout Vanderbilt, not just in the intensive care unit.
Our ECMO specialists helped develop ambulatory ECMO, which means patients are not confined to bed. Vanderbilt is one of the first hospitals in the nation to allow ECMO patients up and walking. We provide physical therapy so patients can maintain their strength. We also work with medical device manufacturers to develop new technologies, making ECMO safer and more effective.
- Transport services
We are one of few hospitals in the U.S. and the only one in Tennessee to offer aeromedical evacuation for ECMO patients. If you need advanced care and are far from Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt LifeFlight can bring you here.
- Access to transplant
If heart or multi-organ transplant is the next step in your care, you’re already at the right place. Vanderbilt Health is one of the top heart transplant programs in the world, providing patients with outstanding outcomes and access to innovative new research and treatments.