- Transplant Center
- Bone Marrow
Understanding Liver Disease
Although there are several causes of liver disease, more than 26,000 people in the U.S. die annually from chronic liver disease and cirrhosis. Alcoholic liver disease and chronic Hepatitis C are the leading causes of cirrhosis.
What are the symptoms of liver disease?
- loss of appetite
- weight loss
- swelling in abdomen and legs
- difficulty in thinking and sleeping
- poor sexual functioning
- muscle cramps
What are the indications of liver disease?
- elevated liver enzymes
- low blood cell counts
- prolonged blood clotting time
- abnormal amounts of electrolytes/minerals
- spider-like blood vessels on the skin
- red palms