Vanderbilt Eye Institute
- Eye Institute
- Our Team
- Eye Health Topics
- Research and
- Paul Sternberg, Jr., M.D., G.W. Hale Professor & Chairman
- John S. Penn, Ph.D., Snyder Professor & Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs
- David J. Calkins, Ph.D., Vice Chair and Director for Research
- Sean Donahue, M.D., Ph.D., Coleman Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
- Laura Wayman, M.D., Vice Chair for Education
- Brian Carlson, MBA, MHSA, Department Administrator
- Anita Agarwal, M.D.
- Nancy M. Benegas, M.D.
- Milam A. Brantley, Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
- Amy Chomsky, M.D.
- Edward Cherney, M.D.
- Sean P. Donahue, M.D., Ph.D.
- James H. Elliott, M.D., Emeritus
- Robert L. Estes, M.D.
- Mark Ewald, M.D.
- James W. Felch, M.D., Ph.D.
- Karen M. Joos, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jeffrey A. Kammer, M.D.
- Brad Kehler, O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Lori Ann Kehler, O.D.
- Stephen J. Kim, M.D.
- Mark A. Kroll, M.D., J.D.
- Rachel W. Kuchtey, M.D., Ph.D.
- Patrick Lavin, M.D.
- Janice Law, M.D.
- Jennifer Lindsey, M.D.
- Louise A. Mawn, M.D.
- Mark R. Melson, M.D.
- Lawrence M. Merin, RBP, FIMI
- David G. Morrison, M.D.
- Chasidy D. Singleton, M.D.
- Jeffrey Sonsino, O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Paul Sternberg, Jr., M.D.
- Dora Sztipanovits, M.S., O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Uyen L. Tran, M.D.
- Laura L. Wayman, M.D.
- Daniel S. Weikert, M.D.
John S. Penn, Ph.D., Snyder Professor & Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs
- Ph.D., Biology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- M.S., Marine Biology, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
- B.A., Biology, University of the South, Sewanee, TN
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- International Society for Eye Research
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- National Perinatal Association
Honors And Awards
- Wilkins Scholar (1974 to 1978) University of the South, Sewanee, TN., full 4-yr. scholarship.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Society (1975) University of the South, Sewanee, TN.
- NSF Graduate Student Fellowship (1979-1981) University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL.
- FSU Psychobiology Fellowship (1982 to 1984) Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- V International Congress of Eye Research Travel Fellowship (1982) Veldhoven, The Netherlands.
- Outstanding Graduate Student in Neuroscience/Psychobiology (1984) Florida State University.
- VI International Congress of Eye Research Travel Fellowship (1984) Alicante, Spain.
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, NRSA (1984-1987) Baylor College of Medicine.
- Research to Prevent Blindness: Dolly Green Scholar’s Award, July 1, 1992.
- Research to Prevent Blindness: Lew R. Wasserman Merit Award, January 1996.
- Research to Prevent Blindness: Senior Scientific Investigator Award, January 2005.
- Vanderbilt William J. Darby Award for Excellence in Translational Research, 2006.