Vanderbilt Eye Institute
- Eye Institute
- Our Team
- Eye Health Topics
- Research and
- Paul Sternberg, Jr., M.D., G.W. Hale Professor & Chairman
- John S. Penn, Ph.D., Snyder Professor & Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs
- David J. Calkins, Ph.D., Vice Chair and Director for Research
- Sean Donahue, M.D., Ph.D., Coleman Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
- Laura Wayman, M.D., Vice Chair for Education
- Brian Carlson, MBA, MHSA, Department Administrator
- Anita Agarwal, M.D.
- Nancy M. Benegas, M.D.
- Milam A. Brantley, Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
- Amy Chomsky, M.D.
- Edward Cherney, M.D.
- Sean P. Donahue, M.D., Ph.D.
- James H. Elliott, M.D., Emeritus
- Robert L. Estes, M.D.
- Mark Ewald, M.D.
- James W. Felch, M.D., Ph.D.
- Karen M. Joos, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jeffrey A. Kammer, M.D.
- Brad Kehler, O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Lori Ann Kehler, O.D.
- Stephen J. Kim, M.D.
- Mark A. Kroll, M.D., J.D.
- Rachel W. Kuchtey, M.D., Ph.D.
- Patrick Lavin, M.D.
- Janice Law, M.D.
- Jennifer Lindsey, M.D.
- Louise A. Mawn, M.D.
- Mark R. Melson, M.D.
- Lawrence M. Merin, RBP, FIMI
- David G. Morrison, M.D.
- Chasidy D. Singleton, M.D.
- Jeffrey Sonsino, O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Paul Sternberg, Jr., M.D.
- Dora Sztipanovits, M.S., O.D., F.A.A.O.
- Uyen L. Tran, M.D.
- Laura L. Wayman, M.D.
- Daniel S. Weikert, M.D.
Paul Sternberg, Jr., M.D., G.W. Hale Professor & Chairman
- M.D., University of Chicago
- B.A., Harvard College
- Internal Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, NC
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1985
- Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology, 1977
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1981
- The Macula Society, 1987
- The Retina Society, 1990
- American Society of Retina Specialists, 1991
- Club Jules Gonin International Retina Society, 1994
Honors and Awards
- Best Doctors in America, 1994-2005
- Lew Wasserman Award of Merit, Research to Prevent Blindness, 1998
- Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2000
- L. E. Brown Humanitarian Award, 2002
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Award, 2004
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal detachment
- Intraocular tumors
- Ocular trauma
- Antioxidant systems and age-related macular degeneration
- Biology of aging in the retina
- Pharmacological treatments for AMD
- Ocular melanoma
Dr. Sternberg is a renowned retina specialist, being named one of the Best Doctors in America for both medical and surgical retinal conditions every year since 1994. He performs both laser and surgical treatment for the entire spectrum of retinal and macular conditions, including retinal detachment, age-related macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Sternberg has maintained an active academic and research program. He has authored over 200 scientific articles and 30 book chapters. He is a member of the Board of Scientific Counselors to the National Eye Institute, the Board of Trustees of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Board of Trustees for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and a consultant to Genentech, Alcon, and Pfizer.
To visit my Vanderbilt Eye Institute laboratory website click here.